What Do Audiologists Do?

Audiologists are specialists trained at the Master’s degree level to  identify and treat hearing loss and balance disorders.

There are a number of speciality areas in Audiology, including:  diagnostic audiology, pediatric audiology, dispensing audiology (hearing aids, and other devices that help people hear), industrial audiology, educational audiology, vestibular disorders, tinnitus or ringing in the ears and implant audiologists (those who specialize in cochlear implants).

In addition to clinical services, an Audiologist’s work could include:  teaching student audiologists, collaborating with other professionals and agencies to minimize the effects of hearing loss, doing research, building awareness in the community of hearing and hearing loss prevention programs, and providing rehabilitation and treatment for children and adults with congenital or acquired hearing loss

Where Do Audiologists Work?

Audiologists in Nova Scotia work in the Nova Scotia Hearing and Speech Centres (NSHSC) as well as in many Private Audiology Clinics throughout the province.

The following is taken from the NSHSC website:

“The Department of Audiology of the Nova Scotia Hearing and Speech Centres provides a variety of clinical services for hearing loss and related communication disorders. Full diagnostic and rehabilitative audiological services are provided to inpatients and outpatients of all ages. Through the 15 sites in the province that provide hearing services to Nova Scotians, the services are very similar. The audiologists have set standards of care at all sites, which mean that all patients receive the same service no matter where they receive that service in Nova Scotian.”

See more on audiology services provided by Nova Scotia Hearing and Speech Centres at their website:

To discover where private Audiology or Hearing Clinics are located, check the Private Practice Audiologists of Atlantic Canada website at:

With Whom Do Audiologists Work?

Anyone from new born infants to the elderly can have a hearing test. Any person who has trouble hearing should see an Audiologist.  Audiologists at the Nova Scotia Hearing and Speech Centres have developed a province wide newborn hearing screening program to check for hearing problems in infants. If a hearing loss is identified they can work with the family to help plan treatment for the child.

The most common reason for a child to see an Audiologist is an ear infection, or a build up of fluid in the middle ear. Other reasons may be: difficulty hearing in school; damage to the ear; diseases of the outer, middle, or inner ear; a syndrome associated with a hearing loss, or infections – both those present at birth or developed later.

Audiologists also see children and adults with other medical problems that may relate to hearing, balance, or central auditory processing difficulties